September 9, 2013 Booster Club Meeting Minutes

Dobson Football Booster Club

Meeting Minutes

September 9, 2013

 

Meeting Location: DHS Football Coach’s Office

President: Susan Hernandez

1st Vice President: Julie Erickson

2nd Co-Vice President: Kristina Cormier

2nd Co-Vice President: Sarah Meraz

Treasurer: Sarah Young

Secretary: Theresa Blancas

Member at Large: Michelle Masters

Member Chair: Marissa Smith

 

Meeting attendees:

Julie Erickson, Kristina Cormier, Sarah Meraz, Susan Hernandez, Sarah Young, Michelle Masters, Marissa Smith, Theresa Blancas, Coach De La Torre, Jana Leineweber, Lance Blessing, Lindsay Blessing, Kelly Stout, Adrian Trice. Attended by Proxy: Jodi Kelly.

 

Call to Order:

Susan Hernandez called the meeting to order for the Dobson High School Football Booster Club at 6:34 pm, Monday, September 9, 2013.

Motion to start the meeting: Sarah Meraz

Second: Julie Erickson

All in favor: Yes

Opposed: None

 

Introduction of New Members:

Susan recognized new Members and reminded them of voting privilege after two (2) consecutive meetings, including via Attendance by Proxy per DFBC By-Laws.

 

Meeting Minutes and Financial Vote:

Meeting Minutes and Financials vote will be at end of meeting. During the meeting hard copies of both September 2013 Meeting Minutes and September 2013 Financials will be passed throughout the room for member review prior to voting at the end of the meeting.

 

Business Agenda:

A. Sarah Young – status of debit/credit card mobile swipe and new account for corresponding new EIN – still on hold until 501(3)C completion. Option for 2 devices (one for each Concession side), which will be discussed once our 501(3)C has been officially completed.

B. Social Networking update – Michelle Masters – all is going well, traffic up on Facebook and Website.

C. Golf Tourney wrap-up (almost post-90 days) – A/R, A/P, Debriefing – Dr. Walker sponsorship, final financial numbers. Update by Sarah Meraz:

  • Dr Walker – told it should be in our mail. Julie Erickson will check mailbox.
  • Dairy Queen – check was received.
  • Dairy Queen donated cakes for highlight night + coupons for principal and football coach for incentive and/or Booster Club can hand out to pick up trash, not swearing, good behavior, etc. They are under new management and he has been a great help. He can tell profits were down due to last year’s management. He donated dilly bars for our AZ Cardinal Reception for our first game on  8/30/2013.

D. Coach’s Football Program financials shared with DFBC – transition. Susan Hernandez has not yet reminded Coach.

E. Mark Erickson – status of Hohokam Foundation — SURPRISE — NO CONTACT = NO GRANT. They said they would contact the organizations that received grants by the end of August. We were not contacted therefore we did not receive a grant.

F. Mark Erickson – status of 501(3)C folder review and direction:

  • Mark Erickson was not present but, to our knowledge, we are still in process.
  • Theresa Blancas will review and note recommendations of changes in Bylaws to be consistent with description of Executive Board versus Full Board. Discussion and vote during general meeting is required – in process.
  • Julie Erickson — Insurance quotes update for Business Owner’s Policy (aka BOP). Michelle Masters will provide more info to Julie Erickson.

 

Other Business:

A. Yard Signs – Susan Hernandez status. Freshmen – delayed. Susan will ask Nicole Masson to make new stencil. Varsity had to make new template – done. JV – done and can be handed out at Wednesdays home game.

  • JV Yard Signs will be handed out this Wednesday. Newest roster shows 48. Per Susan that’s exactly our inventory. Roster checkoffs must be done when picked up.
  • Freshmen – need committee to complete because short and need more signs made, per Nicole Masson. Susan will ask Nicole to make a new template then complete the signs.

B. East Valley Sports – Susan Hernandez – status of East Valley Sports and Executive Board meeting, along with Coach, to decide what we will offer via EVS website and finalizing the contract. Susan will contact EVS and will meet soon.

C. Sarah Meraz reported regarding stadium chairs – Vicki at the Bookstore sold two (2) more and has checks for us.

  • Sarah Meraz will followup with the company regarding a reorder.
  • Susan Hernandez will followup with Vicki at the Bookstore regarding current inventory.

D. Locker Room Project – Susan Hernandez status. All original artwork is complete (Mustang over door, logo on floor, plus Mustang on outside wall for gameday). Framed team photos still need to be completed and hung. Awning and chairs not done.

  • Julie Erickson – Team posters follow up. Susan laminated teh last ones and they are complete then go to Coach for the frame. Coach had photos from Lou Coupy and Lou Coupy laminated them. Coach purchased them ($20 for 5 then 1 free – this year’s was free). Julie is getting them framed. Jerry Hernandez and Craig Masson will hang them up.

E. Sarah Meraz reported we had lots of great help from DFBC for the 08/30/2013 AZ Cards reception. They were impressed by our food selection. Go to www.mpsaz.org to see photos. Many thanks to Sarah Meraz for hosting in the room during the game on our behalf!

 

Fundraisers:

A. Julie Erickson – Luv My Bling in-store fundraiser follow up. She can only come that one time but 20% in store to DFBC is ongoing.

  • Put a notice in the Spirit Boutique.
  • Put a notice in all announcements
  • Our 20% will be given to us after the end of the season.

B. Susan Hernandez – status of Fry’s water and meal donations per Lisa Fenstermaker – setup monthly pickup. Susan will pick up on Wednesday after school with Theresa Blancas. There are new contact names at both stores, new managers at both.

C. Julie Erickson – status of potential for DHS Art Club for face painting at Home Games, Homecoming, via Coach Wells. Julie will followup again as Coach Wells previously said yes but must evaluate students. Julie thinks one game, either Homecoming or Senior Night.

D. Fall Carnival – discuss possible dates or possible Spring dates. Discussion: not fall but spring, aka Spring Fling. Michelle is contact for the company we previously used. Susan Hernandez will followup with Michelle regarding their available dates in the spring then we can followup regarding other DHS home sport schedules.

 

Coach:

A. Coach suggests we sell  ads to scroll on the new digital scoreboard. He will followup with Dr. Perkins.

B. Coach asked Theresa Blancas to send email when appropriate regarding October 12, taking Varsity Players to ASU-CO game. District will pay for buses but Players must have signed permission slips turned into Coach.

C. This week Coach reguests Pregame Meal served by 2:15pm due to traffic concerns to Glendale. Buses plan on leaving at 3:30pm so they can arrive by 5pm.

  • Freshmen – tomorrow (Tuesday) 2:15pm-2:30pm. Snacks only. Coach T informed the Blessings that he will handle distribution.
  • JV at home on Wednesday at 6pm. Susan Hernandez says best for DFBC to serve tailgate meal to Varsity between 5:30PM-5:45PM. Coach says they will be done by 5pm that day. Susan reminded everyone that the purpose of serving the tailgate meal to Varsity is for team bonding and support of their JV Teammates so they stay at the game. DFBC will grill the tailgate meal and serve Varsity at 5:30pm.

 

New Business:

A. Concession Stand Procedures – Susan Hernandez explained sign-in sheet, so we know who’s present. Thanks to the Blessings on Visitors side on both Varsity nights. Please sign-in whether or not you handle money.

  • Sarah Young further explained new procedures – Vendor sales (aka Chick-Fil-A, Jimmy & Joe’s, etc), has a form with Vendor name, quantity, cost, and price sold. This information is especially important if the price changes later during the game, then be sure to inventory at the end of the night.

B. Susan Hernandez – water was delivered to Coach’s office. Susan will get them tomorrow for the Concession Stand.

C. Senior Night – Julie Erickson is our Coordinator. All Seniors at Fall Sports are included during this event. This year it is Friday, Nov. 1. As we get closer to the event, Julie will let us know what help is required, including banners and field assistance the night of the event.

C. Highlight Night – Previously we did it in the cafeteria, showed highlight films and photos, served ice cream cake and drinks. Coach suggested a separate night for Varsity to spend more time in tribute and for awards. Susan Hernandez will followup with dates and paperwork with Donna Koch.

D. Banquet – formal with Athletic Department. Per Coach, few awards handed out that night but then he will re-present those same awards plus others during our Highlight Night.

 

Meeting Minutes and Financials vote:

A. August 2013 Meeting Minutes vote – hard copy for Member review

Motion: Michelle Masters

Second: Sarah Young

All in Favor: Yes

Opposed: None

 

B. August 2013 Financials vote –  hard copy for Member review

Motion: Marissa Smith

Second: Kristina Cormier

All in Favor: Yes

Opposed: None

 

Motion to close the meeting:

Motion: Julie Erickson

Second: Lance Blessing

All in Favor: Yes

Opposed: None

Meeting closed at 7:38pm.

 

 

ACTION ITEMS:

1. Sarah Young – status of debit/credit card mobile swipe and new account for corresponding new EIN – still on hold until 501(3)C completion. Option for 2 devices (one for each Concession side), which will be discussed once our 501(3)C has been officially completed.

2. Golf Tourney wrap-up (almost post-90 days) – A/R, A/P, Debriefing – Dr. Walker sponsorship, final financial numbers. Update by Sarah Meraz:

  • Dr Walker – told it should be in our mail. Julie Erickson will check mailbox.

3. Coach’s Football Program financials shared with DFBC – transition. Susan Hernandez has not yet reminded Coach.

4. East Valley Sports – Susan Hernandez – status of East Valley Sports and Executive Board meeting, along with Coach, to decide what we will offer via EVS website and finalizing the contract.

5. Yard Signs – JV ready to handout. Freshmen need more made then handed out. Susan Hernandez will followup with Nicole Masson to make more Freshmen signs.

6. East Valley Sports – Susan Hernandez – status of East Valley Sports and Executive Board meeting, along with Coach, to decide what we will offer via EVS website and finalizing the contract. Susan will contact EVS and will meet soon.

7. Stadium chairs – Pick up checks from Vicki at the Bookstore for two (2) more sold. Sarah Meraz will followup with the company regarding a reorder. Susan Hernandez will followup with Vicki at the Bookstore regarding current inventory.

8. Locker Room Project – Susan Hernandez status. Per Julie Erickson framed photos still need to be completed and hung. Awning and chairs not done.

9. Susan Hernandez – status of Fry’s water and meal donations per Lisa Fenstermaker – setup monthly pickup.

10. Julie Erickson – followup regarding status of potential for DHS Art Club for face painting at Home Games, via Coach Wells.

11. Fall Carnival – Susan Hernandez will followup with Michelle / amusement company regarding their available dates in the spring then we can followup regarding other DHS home sport schedules.

12. Digital ads on new scoreboard – Coach will followup with Dr. Perkins regarding selling additional ads.

13. ASU-CO game – Theresa Blancas will send email when appropriate regarding October 12, taking Varsity Players to ASU-CO game. District will pay for buses but Players must have signed permission slips turned into Coach.

14. Senior Night – Julie Erickson is Coordinator and will notify membership when and what type of assistance is needed as we get closer to the Nov 1 event.

15. Highlight Night – Susan Hernandez will followup with dates and paperwork with Donna Koch.

 

 

ADDENDUMS TO SEPTEMBER 9, 2013 MINUTES

VOTES VIA EMAIL

 

A. Vote via email on 09/10/2013:

DFBC will be grilling for our Varsity Team on Wednesday, 09/11/2013, just prior to our home JV game, so they are able to stay at the JV game in support of their Teammates and not be hungry. Kristina Cormier, our Co-VP of Fundraising, will be shopping for our Varsity BBQ and has requested a vote for $120.00 for the supplies.

Motion: Adrian Trice

Second: Theresa Blancas

All in favor: Yes

Opposed: None

This motion passed but, because the home JV game on 09/11/2013 was postponed due to too much water on the field, these funds were used for the Varsity BBQ at our home JV game on 09/26/2013.

 

B. Vote via email on 09/18/2013:

Kristina Cormier, our Co-VP of Fundraising and Concession Stand Coordinator, has requested vote for approval $60.00 for purchase of Barros pizza to sell during our Freshman Game tonight. This will cover the cost of 6 Pizzas.

Motion: Nicole Masson

Second: Sarah Young

All in favor: Yes

Opposed: None

This motion passed.

 

C. Vote via email on 09/22/2013:

Theresa R. Blancas, DFBC Secretary, proposed we have a standing weekly “allowance” for Concession Stand purchases in an attempt to be proactive and to limit our votes via email. She further proposed the allowance be split in the following way:

 

The first allowance would be for weekly Concession Stand replenishing in the amount of $200.00.

— Because we did most of the large shopping at the beginning of the season and, due to our lack of storage space, we must shop weekly. The amount of purchase depends on whether that week we have one or two home games. This amount does not include Vendor purchases, like Chic-Fil-A.

 

She further proposed a standing weekly allowance for Concession Stand Vendor purchases of $250.00

— Vendor purchases can be as low as $80.00, again depending on whether that week we have one or two home games .This vendor allowance would be for Chic-Fil-A, Jimmy & Joe’s Pizza, Barro’s Pizza, and any other Vendor purchase.

 

The proposal is for a total standing weekly spending allowance for Concession Stand purchases of $450.00, broke down to $200.00 for weekly Concession Stand replenishing and $250.00 for Concession Stand Vendor purchases.

— All receipts are turned into our Treasurer and tracked accordingly. Per our DFBC Bylaws, if this proposal is approved, on the occasion where our weekly spending exceeds the above limitations, a followup vote via email to approve the difference will be required.

Motion: Sarah Young

Second: Julie Erickson

All in favor: Yes

Opposed: None

This motion passed.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *